15 August 2011

Weekly Dynamic: Financial Batch Notes

I’ve never encouraged users to add notes to batches. Adding them to transactions is terrific. It’s a great way to remember why you did something, but batches, not so much.

Over the years I’d forgotten why I didn’t recommend batch notes beyond some vague sense that I’ve never seen anyone use batch notes later on. Then my colleague Amy Walsh asked if it was possible to add batch notes from posted financial batches to a report. After a little work, we both realized that it can’t be done.

Notes are retained on the batch for unposted financial batches but at posting the batch really goes away. The batch name is noted as part of the individual transaction lines but the rest of the batch specifics, including comments and notes, don’t survive posting.No notes for you.

So now I’ve got an even better reason to recommend transaction notes.

image