14 March 2007

Convergence 2007 Picks and Pans

It's Wednesday at Convergence 2007. We know what's good and bad now so here's my list.

Compliments:
  • The venue is fabulous. Much less walking than Dallas and well laid out. Everything was pretty efficient from check in to bus transportation to meals.
  • Most of the sessions had large enough rooms (an Office 2007 session is the only exception I've heard about.)
  • More of the concurrent sessions speakers were senior folks (program manager types) who could really understand a question and answer it.
  • There were lots of MS folks around from Redmond and Fargo to answer questions. If you couldn't get an answer you weren't trying hard enough.
Criticisms:
  • As with previous Convergence conference, the SQL sessions I attended were too generic. They focused on generic SQL tuning (normalize your tables) without taking into consideration that DBA's at this conference a supporting pre-built applications. (I can't normalize the GP tables guys!)
  • The PowerPoint police need to enforce some best practices. Yes the screens are HUGE but that's not a license to fill them up!
  • Not enough of the Fabulous Matt G. (no Matt's not paying me to say this) We saw him at the opening Keynote and I'm sure we'll see him with Balmer's keynote later but that's it.
  • Give us some exciting speakers. Again, the SQL stuff I saw today I could have gotten from a book at home. One more time. Give us Kim Tripp in the the SQL track and you'll pack the sessions. I'll lead the cheerleading. There were a few and they were hits but excitement and humor were in short supply.
  • The last two Convergences have focused on upcoming products (9.0 was just out in 2006 and 10.0 is due in a few months after 2007). Give us some focus on how to leverage our existing products. We'll have 9.0 barely broken in and we'll be looking at how to train for 10.0.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with Convergence 2007. The last day feels like I've been here a little too long, but ending yesterday would have made it seem short. Balmer's keynote is the last big thing and then I'm off to LA tomorrow for work. We had Bill G. last year, Balmer today, will we see Ray Ozzie next year? Does Ray know that there's a Dynamics line of products?