13 March 2007

Convergence Catchup

For those of you not at Convergence it's been a busy few days here. For the folks who are here, make sure you take some Advil for that hangover headache.
To catch folks up:
GP 10 is due to be released in June with a new interface. Smartlists are now Navigation lists with a deeper/stronger connection to the interface. Instead of a feature, it's now an integral part of the app.
Navigation lists also use a ribbon like interface a la Office 2007 but for some unexplained reason, they don't use the word ribbon. In fact they studiously avoid the word ribbon. What's up with that?
Palettes are back, sort of. Customizable transaction workflow is now included, I'll have more on that later. Also, the security model has been revised from an optimistic to a pessimistic security.
MS announced a new community initiative, a "MySpace for Finance Professionals" that is getting some press coverage. I see this as long overdue upgrade to their Newsgroups. The site will have RSS to make it easy to follow. I'm not sure why it took MS a year to build this, they have tools to get this done in a lot less time, but it is what it is, or rather, it what we, the GP community, make it to be.
I'll have more to say about workflow, security and the other pieces later. They each deserve their own post.
Today is nitty gritty day so I hope to be able to cut through the keynotes to what will work in the real world and what won't.
Meanwhile, I've recorded a podcast with Davis Sooknanan of Roadtown Wholesale. They were a 2005 Pinnacle award winner. Not easy when you're business is on an island in the Caribbean! So look for that next week. Also Mary Jo Foley and I are trying to hookup for a podcast today.
To the folks who recognized me from the blog or the podcast and stopped to say hi, I have to say that I'm thrilled that you get something out of site and I hope to continue delivering GP info for a long time.