06 February 2008

Crystal Reports vs. SQL Server Reporting Services

DevX.com has a nice article comparing Crystal Reports and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS). The article contain a little code but don't worry, you'll get it even if you are not a developer. The point of the article is to compare the two, presenting the differences without lobbying for or the other.

I'm quickly becoming a fan of SSRS so I don't mind lobbying. While I've been a fan of Crystal Reports in the past, the ever growing cost of using and maintaining Crystal and the regular crashes while writing reports (at least through version 9) finally drew me away. At Transit TV we didn't have a single Crystal Report. On the finance side it was GP reports, Smartlists, FRx and if we needed something really crazy we used SQL & Exchange or Excel with a Database Query.

I have been surprised at the differences in actually using both products. I can't explain it yet but they are built with enough fundamental differences that if you learn one, you be frustrated for a while as you learn the other.