20 March 2008

A Chat with the Partnersource Team

I had a nice chat at Convergence with some folks on the Partnersource team. I was starting to wonder if the team existed. I can safely say that these folks do exist and they are very nice. No bodyguards in evidence but they weren't walking around with big orange shirts that said "Partnersource Team Member, Kick Me" either. Everyone was smartly low key.

They were kind enough to demo some features from an upcoming rework of Partnersource and the layout definitely looks better. Expect phased updates of Partnersource. Search will NOT be fixed tomorrow but they are working on it.

First up, expect to see the various search boxes scattered through out the site consolidated into one box, with some options to make easier to figure out which part of the site you're searching.
The new navigation is more logical and better follows the flow of a project, something we're all pretty used to. The team is working on unified search (yay! Can anyone say "Holy Grail"?) but has a number of issues to deal with including some really nasty data cleanup. Parts of the team are spending a couple hours a day doing nothing but cleaning up KB records for things that are mis-tagged, set to never expire, etc.

There is finally some movement within MS to get PS and CS fixed (thanks Kirill!). Frankly, having used other software, I find PS and CS to be great resources, they could just be soooo much better so that's what I'm agitating for.

I actually offered to kidnap someone from the Live Search team but nobody was up for that. Wimps.

What's that song I keep hearing on a commercial? "I want it all and I want it now!" That's how I feel about Partnersource search improvements.