10 April 2008

XBRL, FRx & Performance Point

AccMan is reporting that it's increasingly likely that XBRL (the xml based financial statement/reporting language) is going to be mandated by the SEC for all large cap filers after years of "encouragement". (That would be "encouragement" Chicago mafia style for those of you still on your first cup of coffee.)

I know most of the Dynamics GP group doesn't fall into the large cap filer group but expect a trickle down to small public filers over the next several years if it happens. I can also see institutions mandating XBRL for private companies to streamline line things like loan covenant enforcement. We've this type of trickle down with Sarbanes-Oxley, so I expect it with XBRL too.

I still find it odd that FRx supports XBRL, and has for some time, but the first version of Performance Point Management Reporter doesn't. It's slated for the next release of PPMR but I got the impression that even that was iffy. It's time to step it up PPMR!