14 April 2009

Filter in SQL Management Studio

From Mark Brummel in the Dynamics NAV world comes a nice tip on using Filter in SQL Server Management studio to limit the tables, views or stored procs based on part of their name. Mark has the details including screen shots so I won't reproduce those.

However, I will say that I can see where this could be very useful when working with custom tables. On my current project we have a number of custom tables that all start with IBIS and it would be really helpful to be able to limit my view to those tables some days. Also this works well with the oddball table naming in GP that so many of you dislike. With a SQL filter, I can limit the tables I see to just PM tables for example.

I don't think this persists if yo close the window but it is nice for working with a subset of the data.