21 September 2009

Using the 50 Tips - Please Read

I've had a couple of incidents now of partners misusing the 50 Tips in 50 Minutes presentations so I need to address it.

The 50 Tips presentations, (iSight and Convergence) available from DynamicAccounting.net are covered under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike license. All of my website content is covered by this license and the notice is on every page with a right side bar.

In plain English this means that:
  • You are free to use either presentation as is BUT you can't strip off my name or the I.B.I.S. name.
  • You can't remove the title page and pass this presentation off as your own. 
  • You can't charge people to see this presentation.
Implying that you somehow had something to do with presenting this at Convergence is just bad form. I can't stop you but misleading your clients never ends well. These presentations took a lot of work to pull together and I'm more than willing to share them with the community but I would appreciate if folks didn't take advantage.

I've talked to one partner who used the presentation with attribution and then transitioned into their own tips. That use is perfect and provided great results for the partner.

What is important to understand is that all of the details behind the tips point back to my websites anyway and the presentation is next to useless to end users without the details. The whole point is to do a fast presentation to get people thinking about features they don't use and then provide follow up information to fill in the missing pieces.

The next set of 50 Tips will go up on the website soon and I want to make them available to as many people as possible. The 50 tips presentation in its various forms has been downloaded more than 1,100 times. I'm thrilled that it's so popular that I have to worry about people misusing it. Let's not take away incentives for people to continue to create great content for the community.