19 November 2009

Looking for Job Working with Dynamics GP?

CFO coach Cindy Kraft has a great article up on searching for a job. In it she recommends pursuing your sweet spot and finding companies that need value your expertise. If you work with Dynamics GP you've already got a "sweet spot", a niche that sets you ahead of the competition, your knowledge of Dynamics GP.

One of my favorite hires as a controller was a Purchasing employee who already knew Dynamics GP. On the first day she asked "where is the chart of accounts?". Two hours later she was cutting P.O.'s. All she had to do was learn the company, not the systems. Despite having one of the most bizzare personal lives I've ever seen, I'd happily hire her again. Yes I'm talking about you Shannon.

So if you're looking for work and you know Dynamics GP you need to understand how to leverage this. I've paid more for an employee who knew GP because I knew that I wouldn't have a six month learning curve. They could be productive by day 2. Part of the reason I was hired as a controller was my knowledge of GP. On my first day, before I had even found my desk, the CFO commented "it's February and we haven't finished closing the year in GP. Can you get that done today?". I did. Any thoughts on what value that brought to the organization versus a non-GP hire?

Leverage what you know. Use Dynamics GP or Great Plains as keywords in searching. Leverage GP partners you who may have clients with needs. Leverage all of this great social media stuff for connections to GP people. Folks with knowledge of Dynamics GP are still in high demand. You just have to find your connection.