27 October 2010

GPUG Summit 2010 Day 1

I’ve finally got a moment to reflect on yesterday’s #GPUG Summit. Tuesday was the first full day of the Summit and it was stuffed to overflowing. The opening session was heavy on GPUG with a much lighter Microsoft touch than we see at Convergence. The Microsoft presence is definitely here but it’s in the background and it feels like the right folks are here from MS. We’ve got support people, product people and even some marketing folks willing to go toe to toe with me over Light User Licenses. I didn’t feel the hard core call to upgrade that MSDynamicsWorld described. The keynote from Army General Luis Vasot was big hit with lots of positive responses from customers.
The first 50 Tips in 50 Minutes for Dynamics GP session was packed with people standing in the back and we had a great time. Everyone seemed to enjoy the new set of tips. I had some great conversations at lunch in the expo hall, spent some time with Mekorma and did an interview for Microsoft’s Community site..Mekorma has some nice updates coming for their MICR check printing product and the community team showed off some things I had missed in the new site like the ability to upload video.
After that Bob McAdam and I facilitated an Extender roundtable together that I think really helped people get the power of Extender. Some other I.B.I.S. found me and were really excited about the new online payment functionality available November 1 for Dynamics GP 2010.
At dinner I spent some time with the folks from Metafile who are seeing significant interest in their Metaviewer paperless solution for Dynamics GP. After dinner I spent time with clients and Reporting-Central. All I have to say is, don’t party with folks who build a product call The Closer.
That’s it for Day 1. There were lots of side conversations and great interaction with customers, ISV’s, Microsoft folks and even a few people cleaning up after us in the expo. Since I’m in my home town with lots of access to Diet Mountain Dew I think I’ll make it through the rest of the conference.