28 December 2011

New Challenges and Opportunities for 2012

It’s time for a new challenge so I’m making a change. Starting in January I’m moving out of direct consulting with Dynamics GP.

My new challenge is to help build a Corporate Performance Management (CPM) practice at I.B.I.S. CPM generally involves financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and planning. There is some overlap with Business Intelligence on the financial side but generally not operationally. We are looking to deliver CPM cross product so I’ll get to do some work with AX and CRM as well as with GP. 

This is an area where I have some significant experience. In addition to typical budget work, some of you know that a good chunk of the time that I spent as a CFO was directly involved with trying to sell our division. It’s really hard to imagine how many budget and forecast scenarios you can come up with in 8 months when the options include explosive expansion and severe contraction. I’ve also been involved in the CPM software selection process several times with a mix of products.

Right now Microsoft’s CPM strategy is less than complete, especially for larger enterprises. We like what deFacto is delivering in terms of CPM,and we like the way they partner. Expect to hear more about that as time goes on.

So what does this mean for the blog? Probably not much. I know that I tend to write about what I’m thinking about, it just doesn’t always get published when I’m thinking about it. Sometimes there are delays to protect everyone. You can probably expect to see a few more original pieces on CPM.

I’m already deep into a brand new 50 Tips presentation so that will get done in 2012 and speaking is set for Convergence in Houston. I’ve also got a pile of GP related projects in the hopper for the next 3 months. It’s going to be a challenge to get everything done but frankly, I need a new challenge and I’m looking forward to this one.