25 March 2006

First Impressions

OK, here are my first thoughts on Convergence. This one is big. Texas big. I go to Convergence about every other year. I didn't make it to San Diego last year but I was in Orlando in '04. This one is huge!

Registration was a breeze, as I expect it to be at a Microsoft conference. We got a nice bag but thats about it. MS seems short on toys this year. I still use the retractable headset from '04 because I can't find anything more compact!

Did I mention it was BIG this year?

I spent a few minutes in the hands on lab, Matt G. wasn't kidding, they have A LOT of computers. Everything is running virtual server and it takes a minute to load what you want but it works well. Passwords are both required and provided. That annoyed me at first and then it seemed like a good idea. Users need to use strong passwords so Microsoft is setting an example.

The expo hall is huge. Based on the booths, this may be only trade show some of these vendors go to. So here's my advice for next year. I want to know 2 thing from your booth. What's your name and what do you do. Give me that in big bold letters. Don't make me work for it. Also, don't bunch in groups with your co-workers. I know, it's the end of the day, you're tired. You have several days ahead of you. Two words. FAKE IT. Call me anything you want behind a nice smile. There are a lot more vendors with similar offerings so it's time to out "Friendly" the competition.

I'm pretty whipped from the flight. I'm not sure I'm going to make the welcome reception.