30 October 2007

Strategy, Sage and the C-Suite

Yesterday, I took a whack at Microsoft for their apparently meandering strategy with the Dynamics ERP products. Today I ready Dennis Howlett's post on Sage, an MS competitor, and now I'd like to take it all back. Not because I didn't mean it, because I've seen how bad some of the alternatives can be.

Unlike MS, Sage had a clear, if flawed strategy. Buy lots of ERP/Accounting/CRM systems and don't integrate any of them. Put in just enough R&D to keep them from looking like total dogs and make a fortune off of the R&D savings and maintenance plan money. It was a clear plan. MS understood Sage's plan and appreciated the cash flow that the idea could generate but didn't buy it as a long term strategy.

Now Sage has fired their entire North American management team. If you had a C in your title, you're gone.

Suddenly Microsoft's strategy of "let's integrate but slowly" doesn't seem as bad as some of the alternatives. Then again, I've got high standards so I'll quickly forget about this and start pushing for more and better again. I don't want Dynamics GP to simply be better than the rest. I'd like it to be the standard that others aspire to be.