03 August 2008

The Most Advanced Accounting Software on the Planet

Bill Kennedy of Energized Accounting (I've said before that I love the name) has a nice broad post on comparing software vendors and their claims.

A couple of excerpts:

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a Microsoft fan. In my
quarter century of accounting, I have spent a decade implementing
Dynamics GP (Great Plains) and Dynamics NAV (Navision). But I still
wouldn't claim that it's the most advanced accounting software on the
planet. The issue is not how advanced it is, but how well it fits the
client's needs and budget
...

Two packages may claim to have advanced inventory features,
multi-currency, role based security etc. etc., but when you
investigate, you find that they have addressed these features in very
different ways. Furthermore, there are hidden assumptions included in
the words.


Read the whole thing for a great perspective on vendor claims, implementation pain and some help navigation the crud.