05 February 2010

Microsoft and Dynamics GP Business Intelligence

The Edge is reporting that Microsoft's Business Intelligence platforms have moved into Gartner's 2010 magic quadrant. Personally, I've never placed much stock in Gartner's analyses but other people do.

Here is my take away. I hate the fact that one department of MS of doesn't know what other departments are doing. It often looks like MS has 3 competing strategies on any one technology. However, now that Performance Point is effectively just a few features in Sharepoint, PowerPivot, the Excel Data Mining add on and Excel 2010 are stepping up to fill in Microsoft's BI gap.

At I.B.I.S. we've been awfully busy with BI work around Dynamics GP. Dwight Specht really got the ball rolling and now David Duncan has taken over and is really driving value in BI. Thanks to David's work we now have standard GP cubes around Fixed Assets, Field Service Contracts and Field Service Service Calls. We've also got some cool views available around security. Feel free to drop me a line if you're interested in digging deeper into your GP data.